Block Research Group (BRG) of ETH Zurich and Computation and Design (CODE) group of Zaha Hadid Architects, with Incremental3d.
Made possible by Holcim.
Striatus meets the challenges facing the Architecture, Engineering and Construction (AEC) industry by demonstrating a responsible way to design with one of its most widely-used and enduring materials - concrete. To do so, we draw from and computationally enhance one of its most ancient wisdoms - masonry construction. Furthermore, we intended a targeted use of the rapidly maturing technology of robotic 3D printing of concrete, integrated design-to-construction methodologies, and multidisciplinary, collaborative authorship to achieve these goals of responsible design.
Integrated design to construction
A common language of geometry and computation
- allows for the alignment of core competencies across design, engineering, fabrication and construction.
- enables the development of simple, task-specific tool chains that effectively coordinate information across the digital design to robotic production processes.
- enables open-source and collaborative assimilation of innovation and discovery.
This is in stark contrast to existing AEC tools that are oriented towards legacy modes of siloed design and drawing-based information coordination.
Influential ideas and reseacherscomputational geometry, masonry, shell structures, computer graphics etc.
A brief, non-exhaustive list of researchers, and/or their work, that have deeply influenced me, the work in my PhD on shape design for 3d concrete printing and my contributions to Striatus. Some humble contributions included for any others venturing down the path.
**Strength through geometry, shell structures, masonry etc **
- Philippe Block - Thrust Network Analysis
- Sigrid Adriannsens et al - Shell structure in Architecture
- Matthias Rippmann - Funicular Shell design
- Tom Van Mele - geometry ,algebra and computation
** Mesh-based Geometry processing, computer graphics etc**
- Paul Bourke - geometry and computer programming
- Olga Sorkine - Laplace operators, shape modelling, geometry processing
- Mario Botsch et al - Poly mesh processing
- Mark Meyer, Mathieu Desbrun et al - Discrete Differential-Geometry Operators for Triangulated 2-Manifolds
- Mark Pauly, EPFL Computer Graphics and Geometry Laboratory - shape-op
- Roi Porrane - Interactive planarisation
- Chris Williams - British Museum Great Court roof
**Architectural geometry, subdivision surfaces etc **
- Helmutt Pottman - Architectural Geometry
- Paul Shepherd & Paul Richens - Subdivision surface modelling for architecture
** masonry, FRep, interpolation etc**
- Block Research Group - armadillo vault
- David Wendland - Vaults built without form-work
- Jules Bloomental - implicit surfaces
- Gabriel Peyre - optimal transport, interpolation, oldie goldies etc.
- Shajay Bhooshan, Vishu Bhooshan , David Reeves and Philippe Block MayaVault—a Mesh Modelling Environment for Discrete Funicular Structures
- Shajay Bhooshan,johannes Megens, Tom van Mele and Philippe Block Function Representation for Robotic 3D Printed Concrete
- Shajay Bhooshan,Tom Van Mele and Philippe Block Morph & Slerp: Shape description for 3D printing of concrete